[DeTomaso] Thoughts from the collective /

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 7 10:43:53 EST 2011

+1 on what Kirby said..... I'd love to eliminate the cable shifter in my Ultima (okay it's on a G50 not ZF) but it is the weakest point of the whole car IMO. A lot of the UK guys with factory RHD use a right hand rod sill shift (ala GT40), it's just not possible to use rod with a center shift. I even considered going LHD left hand sill shifter for a while.

That said the Ford GT, Porsche, Toyota and some other manufacturers successfully use cable shift in production vehicles, so smooth shifting can be achieved with the right set up. Personally if I was going to spend that sort of dough, I'd go the next step and anti up the ~$3K to get something like the Masterhsift system (www.mastershift.com) that has electronic actuators on the transaxle connected to a renote paddle or bump shifter. But then if I was going that far I'd probably go one further again and get a fully sequential transaxle..... can you see how my projects get out of hand really quickly... :>)

Julian