[DeTomaso] Metal Treatment for overflow tank

cengles at cox.net cengles at cox.net
Thu Jan 6 11:19:15 EST 2011

Dear Asa,

I tried powder painting on a arms many years ago and I sandblasted it off with a couple of trips to Vegas. I think got the idea to coat them with the aluminzed ceramic stuff used on headers. I was told that there was an "appearance" coating that was similar to the header recipe and could be used on such things as water pipes, tanks, pulleys, engine covers, etc, etc.
Both cars have coated a arms and about 60-70k miles of driving. The stuff is still there. Looks good and has not been sand blasted off by road debris. The engine and cooling system parts that I have had coated over the past many years are corrosion free and holding up very well, which I can unfortunately attest to by virtue of my, umm, unscheduled engine rebuilds.
My recommendation would be to coat the tank with the aluminized ceramic. I know it comes in "aluminum" color and I think that it may also come in black and white, but you'd have to inquire with the coating company.

FWIW, Chuck Engles