[DeTomaso] Metal Treatment for overflow tank

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Thu Jan 6 10:59:51 EST 2011

Hi all,

I recently came into a stock overflow tank for a Pantera.  As you my
recall mine looked like it had been shot with a rust gun and had holes
everywhere.  This replacement is intact, holds pressure (not that it
needs to) and is bare metal at the moment.

I'm interested in trying to keep it rust free and in good shape as
long as possible.  In that vein I'm looking to understand if there is
some way I can treat the metal to help it's longevity.  I'm sure
painting it or perhaps powder coating will help but is there something
else I should do to it to help it stay in good shape?

Any idea are appreciated.
Thank you,
Asa Jay

PS.  For those who have been following my adventures, yes, this is not
meant to be permanent as I intend on upgrading/installing a more
proper system, probably when the engine comes out.  Even so, let's
make this tank last a long time.