[DeTomaso] radiator deal

David & Marilyn Bell davidabell at worldnet.att.net
Fri Feb 25 01:33:17 EST 2011

I have a single pass aluminum radiator that Quella built using a design
sheet that I sent him.  It includes two oversize spal fans in an aluminum
shroud.  All the seams and tubes are tig welded with absolutely no epoxy.
Since installing this radiator, there have been no episodes of gradual heat
soak overheating that occurred with the previous dual pass aluminum radiator
(which was replaced after the epoxy sealing the water tubes cracked).

One thing to think through for a single pass is placement of the coolant
inlet and outlet on the radiator body.  Ideally, inlet and outlet on a
single pass radiator should be on diagonally opposite corners, and placed as
far into the corners as possible.  This is completely different from the
typical two-pass radiator (i.e. stock Pantera locations) where both the
inlet and outlet are on the same side of the radiator and usually somewhat
centrally located rather than at the extreme top and bottom.  The under-car
coolant plumbing will have to be repositioned to connect to a single pass
radiator.  And you will probably find that a Pantera also has obstructions
such as the headlight bar (on a lay down radiator) and/or the lower cross
member that may compromise the ideal inlet and outlet positions.  I ended up
doing some hammer modifications to get everything to fit.  Another
consideration is whether to have 45 or 90 degree aluminum bends in the
inlet/outlet pipes where they contact the radiator and how everything will
connect to the under car plumbing (set up for single pass).  I ended up
using one welded on aluminum 90 degree bend (which has to be perfectly
oriented by the way) and one silicon 90 degree elbow which can be rotated
slightly to allow easier connections to the under car tubes.

None of this work is all that difficult, but don't expect converting to a
single pass radiator will be completely plug and play.

Dave Bell