[DeTomaso]   How much ZDDP?

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Feb 24 15:02:31 EST 2011

In a message dated 2/24/11 11:23:28 AM, patrick.q.lee at rbc.com writes:

> ... it would be very interesting to see some real data as to the extent
> of failure in flat tappet cams (solid and hydraulic) rather than just
> anecdotal.

The engine builder forums are full of their pro-experiences and return
rates with today's cams, but they're still "anecdotal". The discussions cover
both hydraulics and solid flat tappets. Most of the builds use much heavier
springs and more aggressive cam ramps than stock, even if they're installed in
street cars. Both make a successful break-in more chancy. The evidence
breaks down to two choices:   'how lucky do you feel', or 'I need more
insurance'. Discuss the possibilities with your builder or cam company and decide if
their guarantee covers what you have in mind, then act accordingly.
ZDDP is NOT a cure-all, and there are other ways to have a good chance of
success in your cam change than doping oil with ZDDP. But all are more work
than dumping stuff in the pan. After choosing a cam grinder, the first thing
is to measure EVERYTHING BEFORE installing a new cam. Remember the rash of
aftermarket 351-C cam failures we had a few years ago? There were wrong
angles on cam gears, poor fits to lifter bores and other non-oil-related
failures.   Good luck- J DeRyke