[DeTomaso] Safety Wire 101....

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 23 10:53:38 EST 2011

Although what Mike pictured was not ideal it IMO did offer a greater degree of protection than no safety wire at all. Not my ZF, but I have wired motorcycle drive sprockets with this method in the past.

There are a number of accepted methods for safety wiring depending on the application, distance of the bolts etc. and stringing bolts together with a through wire is one of thos methods, although agreed execution of Mike's example was not perfect and may not be the most applicable method for a ZF ring gear.

http://www.tpub.com/content/aviation/14014/css/14014_116.htm

Julian