[DeTomaso] Fun Rally Trek

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 15 00:52:39 EST 2011

John,

With a semi and trailer (assuming large truck here hauling at least 2-3 Panteras) and the desire to get to Reno in good time the choices would likely would be;

Southern route; San Antonio and I10 West to Juarez, up through Tucson to Phoenix. On to Vegas and up HWY395 to Reno.
Advantages; Pantera owners in both Tucson and Phoenix for truck parking. Reno is a ~12 hr drive from Phoenix, which I did straight in the GT5 when I purchased it from Coz. Roads and driving conditions should be great in June, some great open roads from Vegas to Reno (I actually miss that part of the Rally now it's in Reno!).
Disadvantages; Border wars in Juarez and the possibility your cargo ends up in some drug Lords stash... Weather in Phoenix during June... some great open roads i.e. desolation except for the revenue cops outside the small towns.

Northern route; Fort Worth to Amarillo on to Albuquerque from where you can continue on I40 to Flagstaff and then up through Vegas or alternatively continue North from Albuquerque to Farmington and then up through Moab to HWY50 and follow it West to Reno. Great scenery, lot's of attractions and distractions to break up the driving, the flip side is lot's of distractions, you may just find them more attractive than the final destination. Not sure what Pantera owners are on the more off the beaten track route, but can't imagine it would be hard to arrange secure parking for the truck & trailer, if so then consider parking them in Houston :>)

FWIW I did a road trip (non Pantera) from Reno to Cimarron NM in '08, we took HWY50 via Great Basin National Park (Eastern NV), visiting Arches & Canyonlands (Moab), then to Mesa Verde, Shiprock and on into NM. On the return leg we came through Four Corners, Grand Canyon and Zion the up through Cedar City and back HWY375. That whole Four Corners area, Northern Arizona and Southern Utah has some fantastic scenery and a trip of a lifetime if you want to make a vacation of it.

Good luck,
Julian