[DeTomaso] filling spot welds

Cullen McCann cmccann1972 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 12:38:39 EST 2011

I have had some experience with various fillers, and I would like to back up
what Paul R. says here...Duraglass is a great product. It's very important
to note that not all "body fillers" are created equal. Some perform very
well for skim coats, some perform fine in thicknesses up to an 1/8th inch,
if you can tolerate knowing it's there. Some perform better at bare metal
only and some are just fine over primers...some tolerate some flexing and
have a higher plasticity and others are more brittle....just need to do
research on the right product and application based off of the condition of
your car and go from there. In general the Duraglass is a great place to
start...but it needs a lot of "tooth" for proper adhesion. A lot of people
judge all body fillers by the performance of incorrectly applied "Bondo".
The spot welds are ABSOUTELY capable of being filled without risk of
separation....if the right product is chosen and applied the right way...

My two cents...

Cullen
Rust project 3925

Subject: Re: [DeTomaso] filling spot welds

I would highly recommend using Duraglass. It is a fiberglass reinforced
resin filler. Easy to use, lightweight, durable and fills the dimples
extremely well. I did my engine bay many years ago with it and it was
excellent to work with. For best results it is best to top coat with a super

thin layer of plastic filler then high build primer.

Paul