[DeTomaso] Anyone with Experience with Evans NPG Propylene glycol Coolant

Ken Green kenn_green at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 13 23:12:42 EST 2011

I have been reading the Evans web site and a lot of posts on different forums.  It sounds like because of it's high boiling temperature it does reduce detonation and keeps the cooling system like new, but also operates at a higher temperature because it has a lower specific heat than water.

There are a lot of positive comments from users, and a few hand waving negative comments that appear to lack many facts.  It looks like the engine can be as cool or cooler than one using a water mix and at the same time the coolant can be hotter coming out of the engine because of the lower specific heat.

Specifically, has anyone measured the temperatures of the block/heads, the coolant leaving the engine, and the coolant entering the engine?  I am assuming that there has to be a much larger difference between the coolant entering and leaving than with water to remove the same about of heat from the engine.

I've been reading the HPBooks "Engine cooling Systems" by Ray Bohacz and he loves the Evans product.

Ken