[DeTomaso] Alternate Ball Joint

GW gow2 at rc-tech.net
Fri Feb 11 10:20:54 EST 2011

I have ordered several ball joints in search of an alternative for
making a-arms.

First, I am unwilling to modify the upright with a reamer as I would
like to make any modifications reversible.
Second, the casting for the Pantera upright is not that big around the
tapered hole so I am not willing to make changes which thin the support
structure
 meaning...I am not willing to go from say a 1.5" taper to a 2" taper.

My goal would like to find some common screw in or bolt on ball joints
to construct uprights out of without modifications.

I have tried Chrysler ball joints (1.5" tapper). Older ball joints are
too big.
I have tried Mustang/Pinto ball joints.
I have tried numerous 1.5" tapper studs.

I am having 2 issues with 1.5" ball joints:

As far as the height issue, having a ball joint too high will wreck the
suspension geometry. I have seen a few suck up a 1/2" higher which is
not acceptable. Howe has shortened ball joints so this is not a problem.
The Pinto ball joint is close on height but the standard Pinto ball
joint is kind of flimsy. There are probably better after market
performance alternatives.

First, the base circle for the Chrysler and the Pinto is too small.
While they can be tightened up, if you look the big end of the tapper
pulls down into the tapper on the upright.

Second, I have been told the Pantera taper is 1.5" or 7 degrees. This
does not appear to be so. Close yes, not exactly though. The 1.5" ball
joints are loose at the bottom. The tech guy at Speedway motors says
just tighten it down, shim it up it's be fine. I don't accept that.

http://www.rc-tech.net/cars2/panttransam/1905/aarm/upright2.jpg

I know I have almost a 40 year old car so some things could have been
done to the car; like having the tapper bored....BUT....

The Pantera ball joint sits where it should AND seats properly; no slop!
All this looks original and untouched; it likely is.

Ball joint info seems to be well guarded national secrets BUT in digging
in ever corner I could find it seems there are many variations of tapper
NEAR 1.5" and my only conclusion with out more info is that the Pantera
tapper is not EXACTLY 1.5". Hitting it with a 7 degree tapper will make
the tapper correct for a Chrysler ball joint (which I don't want to
change it from the Pantera taper) BUT it will also make the Chrysler
ball joint sit even deeper which would make it an even worse hack job.
"Ive done it and had not trouble" is not acceptable if it isn't right.

Small sample refference:
    92-08 Viper 1.69" tapper
    64-72" Chevelle, 1.6" tapper
    70-92 Dodge truck 1.48 Tapper
    79-93 Mustang 1.625" tapper
    91-05 Miata 1.47" tapper

SO as some one else had written to me and pointed out after doing the
same research, Pantera ball joints are not so expensive that I will
probably stick with them.

The other alternative would be a whole new upright. On the surface is
not a bad idea. Mustang2 are common and even Willwood has a Mustang2
copy which is a nice upright. Lot's of parts associated with these which
is good! Problem is a 7-8 degree inclination angle is nice for a
performance car. Most uprights; including the Mustang and Willwood are
11 degree. While there are a few 7 degree uprights, I am not sure it's
worth the research for me. I will probably just stick with the Pantera
ball joints.

At least that is where I am at now.

Gary