[DeTomaso] filling engine compartment spot welds

bill gaino gaino at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 10 17:39:54 EST 2011

Dan, I'm doing mine now too!  I did it about 5 years ago and like MEMike I left the spot welds where I could, I had to cut out a lot of metal and I mig welded the new back in.   You can grind the areas you want to smooth with 36 grit on a 2 inch disc die grinder. Mine is a 45 degree with the 3M roloc pads. Then go over the area w-i-d-e-r with a DA sander and 80 grit. I don't expect you need much thickness so I would use a polyester putty like Doulfin glaze over the sanded bare metal or well adheared substrate. (my original primer is really stuck on 1362). I use a putty that is flexible because I do a lot of plastic m-cycles. I just use it on everything now. Use a sanding block and start with 80 grit, finish with 180 and prime. Epoxy is best, 2 K urethane sands easy and works fine too. I have some small blocks. You can make small ones from hard foam.  Funny, the flat block works on round areas... but it does. I do this for a living, check my site, I'm getting ready for my 408 also. I follow your wisdom, and also ran 215's in an MGB. I finally gave up because of oil pressure problems, and I had the extended oil pump gears. Bill 1362  http://www.slickpaint.com/index.php?p=1_9_My-Pantera