[DeTomaso] Real GT5?

Charles McCall charlesmccall at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 13:43:12 EST 2011

I would look for two clues - year of manufacture and the squared off
wheelwells.

They began building GT5 cars in 1980, and GT5-S cars in 1985. So any car
registered before those years purporting to be a wide-body car must be a
conversion.

Squared-off wheel wells arrived in the late 70's, somewhere just before the
first GT5 cars. A wide-body car with rounded wheel well housings would be a
conversion.

>From looking at the late model registry, I doubt that any post 1985 GTS cars
were converted to GT5 or GT5-S.

The factory has gaping holes in their documentation of the late model cars.
I've seen their paperwork, and they can only account for roughly half the
cars built.

Other things, like the interior or flares, are easily changed, but year of
construction and wheel well housings are not...

Charles McCall
1985 DeTomaso Pantera GT5-S #9375
"Raising Pantera Awareness Across Europe"