[DeTomaso] Coolant amount

Christopher Kimball chrisvkimball at msn.com
Tue Feb 8 04:29:53 EST 2011

Thank you--I found out twice...

After I had filled it, a small leak became apparent from the petcock at the base of the radiator.  I did what came naturally, of course, which was to tighten it.  Strangely, the leak got worse!  I ended up having to remove the petcock assembly completely and catch as much of the antifreeze as I could as it ou red out of the radiator.

It turns out the edge of the larger brass casing of the petcock had begun to split where the plunger end of the smaller, inner piece met it and was supposed to seal, so when I tightened it, it just disintegrated the edge completely.

Fortunately, I had some spare brass inserts, so I found one the right size and screwed it into the hole in the radiator where the petcock originally went.

It seems to have done the trick, although now to drain the radiator I'll have to use a wrench instead of just loosening the petcock's wing nut.

Sincerely,

Chris
3846