[DeTomaso] Air Con Down under

Richard Barkley rlbpantera at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 4 21:51:11 EST 2011

Ken,
It appears that the heater and A/C tubes are intertwined (intermixed?).
This is a very bad idea. The early '71 cars had a core that had the A/C
coils in front of the heater coils. So hot air would blow over the (wet
if the A/C were on) evaporator. This produced instant fog on all windows
if it was cool outside and the A/C and heater got on at the same time.
Since the heater valve didn't shut off completely, this was all the
time! Terrible design. This design would have the same problem. I'm not
sure when DeTomaso (or Ford) changed over to a core that had the heater
coils blowing over the A/C, but they did.

When I did Zonkey, the Byers had a "modern" high capacity box that had
an associated much improved expansion valve and used modern hose
connectors. You might also talk to Bruce at Mac's Radiator in Bellflower
(if he is still there). 562-920-1871, 9681 Alondra Blvd
Bellflower, CA 90706
They used to do all Hall's radiator and A/C work and I think were the
source of the core. If you need someone to do the A/C work, that might
be the best place.
Richard

--
-----
Sincerely, Richard Barkley

To Ski or not to Ski, that is the question!

Richard Barkley (310) 373-6695 (home)
E-mail:  rlbpantera <atsign> earthlink.net
ZONKEY'S home page: http://home.earthlink.net/~rlbpantera
Mammoth Lakes Vacation Condo: 2BR+loft/3Bath - Horizons 4 #186 (760)
934-6758
Condo web address: http://home.earthlink.net/~rbarkley