[DeTomaso] Dimples

mikeldrew at aol.com mikeldrew at aol.com
Fri Feb 4 20:09:18 EST 2011

Tom wrote:
 I just looked at the slide show of pictures from the BAT ad.   I've always
anted to ask why there are dimples on the rear wheel house of some of the cars
ictures I see.   I assume they are from the factory spot welds for the rear
uspension supports, but if this is true, does that mean the cars that have
mooth wheel houses (which are what I see the most of) all have had these
imples filled and smoothed?

>>>Exactly.  The 1971-73 cars were heavily undercoated, which conceals the spot
welds.  The 1974 cars were only painted with satin black, so you can see the dimples
clearly.  People who detail their engine compartments usually either weld up or
bondo the dimples, then sand them smooth.
>My car was smooth when I got it 23 years ago, but I know the guy I bought it
rom did stuff to it when he restored it (i.e. removed the fiberglass fender
lares and filled the rivet holes and remove the dzus fasteners for the trunk
nsert and filled those in).