[DeTomaso] Snow in San Antonio

fastgrandma at aol.com fastgrandma at aol.com
Fri Feb 4 18:12:07 EST 2011

Okay, Orville,

I realize not every state is set up to deal with winter weather and personally know that Texas is not.  We drove from IL to CA the first of January,1970 and figuring that the toll roads would be the better bet (like plowed!) we found out differently. Both of our cars had new tires so we drove like we normally did in an inch or two of snow which was getting a little mushy; thus throwing a lot up on the 15-20 mph cars (which were almost everyone else) and got several of them honking at us.  Had absolutely no problems so really wondered about the drivers.

A couple years after moving to CA Jack went to work for UTC, down in the hills south of San Jose. One winter day he showed up back home around lunch time and I queried him why. He laughed, the company had sent everyone home as they were worried that the employees would have trouble at 5 pm in the one inch snow!  We laughed about that for years.  Of course, over 30 years we saw what happened during the first rain after a long dry spell; too many forgot that it gets slippery when water and oil mix and even here where we more often see snow, too many still think they can drive fast.  Unfortunately the sad results often happen to the other driver rather than the idiot that causes the accidents.

So far in our 9+ years here I've only had one problem and that was spinning on black ice coming back from CA (and in CA) at night; luckily I stayed on the pavement altho was pretty worried as I wasn't sure where the drop-offs were in the dark!  Oh yeah, one other serious problem when in perfect weather a larger SUV than mine, t-boned us making a left turn and unfortunately the road was not clear. Sometimes it doesn't take weather to create a dumbhead!

I loved the clip!

Judy