[DeTomaso] Front Cam Bearing

Chance Dorsey chance.dorsey at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 4 13:05:09 EST 2011

I have a quick question about the location of the front cam bearing.  I measured the placement of the one in my block and the machine shop has installed it too deep.  Ford specifies that it be .003 - .005 from the face of the block.  I called the machinist to ask him about moving it forward a bit.  Of course, he said that it wasn't important as long as the bearing was not extended past the front of the block.  How did I know he was going to say that?

Does the .003 to .005 space create a restriction to the amount of oil that goes between the bearing and the face of the thrust bearing?  Should I make the machine shop go ahead and move it?  I wanted to get a few more opinions other then just the one from the machinist.

Thanks,

Chance Dorsey
Austin, TX