[DeTomaso] Amerisport GT5-S fixer-up for sale (cheap)

Charles McCall charlesmccall at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 17:02:59 EST 2011

Julian - you forget how many were produced because nobody knows for sure.

Not even DeTomaso. I've read various numbers, but none of them coincide.

The first GT5-S was 9375. The last one was 9562, as Bjoern comments. So the
maximum could be 187 cars if every serial number was used and if they were
all GT5-S cars. But we know that some were GT5's and some were GTS's. Peter
Havlik has the latest known GT5, a 1989 model. There were handfuls of GTS's
in 1987 and 1988, but the majority were GT5-S's.

I once asked Claudia Lodi at DeTomaso for the exact number of GT5-S cars
built, hoping to end the debate for once and for all. She looked through her
files one-by-one (a promising start) and declared the official answer - 94!

I tried to find an explanation, as there are more than 94 known 5-S cars,
and I suspect that the explanations are many. She didn't count the
Amerisport cars, for example, because "according to Alejandro, those weren't
DeTomaso cars, they were Amerisport cars..." (just the reporter here...) I
don't know what else happened in her arithmetic, but the numbers don't add
up.

So the only way to know the exact number is for people to contribute to
Peter Havlik's Late Model Registry and count cars, serial number by serial
number. He's got most of the cars identified now, and I'd guess that the
total was 160 GT5-S cars built in total, give or take a few. But we won't
have an exact number until ALL the cars are located.

BTW - did anyone get (or COULD anyone get) the serial number on the poor '87
example we discussed this week? It's not in the registry...

Charles McCall
1985 DeTomaso Pantera GT5-S #9375
"Raising Pantera Awareness Across Europe"