[DeTomaso] ZF trick techno question

detomasoregistry at gmail.com detomasoregistry at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 12:54:24 EST 2011

Chuck,

So you and I are on the same page, so to speak,

here is the factory exploded diagram showing the parts:

http://www.provamo.com/Members/TechInfo/PanteraPartsDiagrams/PanteraZF.asp

and here, part way down are some images of the parts from the outside:

http://www.provamo.com/Members/TechInfo/ZF_Main.asp

now I'm looking for an image of the inside of the case where the speedo drive gear
passes thru the case.

Chuck

Dear Forum,

Given all the snowed-in and frozen-in talent as well as those in more pleasant locales
that would rather patronize the Forum than do actual job duties, I thought I would see if
someone could help with a ZF question.

I have to replace the speedo drive gear. I have pulled the sleeve and the old broken gear
out without problems. I have made two or three unsuccessful attempts to replace the new
assembly. Obviously, the problem is keeping the gear and/or sleeve + gear from a slow
sickening slide into the bowels of the ZF. The task seems to be to control the assembly
with one hand or pliars while using the left hand to secure the locking bolt into the hole
in the sleeve and the groove on the gear. It is certainly awkward and access is not great.
Does anyone have a clever idea of how to hang onto the gear+assembly securely and easily
to permit the requisite time to fiddle and futz to get the locking bolt set just right? I
am afraid it is just a PITA task dependent on holding your tongue just right plus some
luck. Bright ideas ZF experts??

Above freezing in the garage, Chuck Engles