[DeTomaso] NPC - comment about Ferraris/Maseratis

Charles Engles cengles at cox.net
Thu Dec 29 23:15:38 EST 2011

Dear Guys,

             Two minor points that Ferraris are not the perfect devine
products of Roman gods.

            The author of a well regarded book on Sebring in the seventies
quotes one of the members of the Ferrari team that the Ferraris always
arrived with numerous mechanical and electrical faults that had to be found
and fixed before the race.

           There is a very well know Ferrari and Classic car restoration
shop in Gainesville, Texas: Bob Smith Coachworks.   The Dallas Pantera club
was invited to tour the shop with Bob.  Bob's restorations have done very
well at Monterey and elsewhere.  A vintage Ferrari had been stripped down to
the frame as part of a high dollar competitive restoration.  I loved Bob's
comment that they had their welder re-do all of the Ferrari welds.  Then the
correct and proper weld would be purposefully have a thin layer of a
buggered up amateurish weld placed over it to make it appear to be a correct
Ferrari factory original weld!!

        La dolce vita!

                       Warmest regards,  Chuck Engles