[DeTomaso] Fwd: request for info - Detomaso Factory

Charles McCall charlesmccall at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 03:29:12 EST 2011

You used to be able to send an e-mail to Claudia Lodi, or even just
show up and honk and they'd open the door and let you in.

claudia is long gone, and there is really nothing to see at the
factory these days. Their museum has been sold, their inventory sold,
and the only thing left is a warehouse with a very limited number of
parts. I'm of the understanding that the only person left at the
company is Santiago DeTomaso, and he doesn't spend much time at the
factory as there's little to do.

I'm afraid that there is little Detomaso related to see.

Other sites include the Lamborghini factory, which does allow visitors
and has a fantastic museum which may be visited free of charge.

you can also stop by the Ferrari factory although they don't allow
visits to non-customers. You can park alongside their test track, and
in the past I've seen everything from F1 cars to "ordinary" street
Ferraris on the track being tested. The test track is visible from the
street, and if something "interesting" is being tested, there are
usually a small handful of cars parked.

Pagani allowed free visits a few years ago - don't know if they still
do but it was fascinating to visit. Horacio Pagani himself was
available to shake his hand. They were extremely gracious despite the
fact that I clearly stated that I was, um, not a potential customer.