[DeTomaso] a few good bolts

B. Seib oldwheel at shaw.ca
Tue Dec 27 22:47:53 EST 2011

Actually, there is no corrosion involved on the shank of my original bolts.
I have purchased said AN7 bolts from Aircraft Spruce. They are a full 2 and
a half thous smaller in the shank than my originals. The originals are a
tight fit in the flanges. The AN7 replacements are a "fall through, which I
consider a substandard fit on a loaded drive component.
It appears that sometime after my April 72 car was produced by Ford and a
1987 GT5S, the drill size for the holes in the flanges was reduced by one
number size? Perhaps that's why there is a difference. I just know I need
the original larger shank to be happy with the fit on mine.

Do you have four of the original "stocker" bolts at 0.4375" you can sell me
Mike ?

Barry

----

In a message dated 12/27/11 17 35 39, b.hower3400 at yahoo.com writes:

> Who supplies the proper bolt? What size do I ask for?

expensive there, anywhere from $4.50 to $10 each.

Aircraft Spruce sells AN7 bolts of the appropriate dimensions, except this
discussion began because Barry thought the OD of the Aircraft Spruce bolts
was minimally smaller than those of his old ones.   I would suggest that the
old ones may have 'swollen' somewhat due to corrosion etc.

I just measured mine--an  and an Aircraft
Spruce bolt is 0.4335"   However, my stocker has corrosion which might
account for some if not all of the additional thickness.   I remember that
my
stockers had to be brutally hammered out when I removed them, while the new
ones are a light press fit--they don't slide in and need to be gently tapped
in and out, which I think is optimal.

If you go the Aircraft Spruce route, what you need is AN7-11A, which you
can get here for $1.25 each:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/an7.php

The matching Nylock nut is the AN 365-720A, found here:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/hapages/an363_1.php