[DeTomaso] 4V cc iron heads

Sean Korb spkorb at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 11:13:11 EST 2011

It's whatever feels good when you're done.  I'm terrible at giving
advice to people about getting a car or some other major item.  I ask
them what they want and then I tell them to get that.  Often there's a
lot of buts and what ifs, but do what is best for you.  I get a tickle
recycling old iron and repairing something economically and still of
high quality.  But if I really want aluminum heads (and I have for my
'68 Cougar and '68 Mustang for instance) then I'm going to get it and
$500 that you needed to spend anyway is a good chunk of that.

For the Mustang, I was answering a question: can I get a FE big block
Mustang to handle as well as a 302 Boss.  Aluminum heads was part of
that answer.  For the Pantera, I wanted to know if I could drive a
supercar economically and still have fun.  So aluminum heads are not
as important.  If I was running a Hemi like Goran, then the weight is
a big factor.  If I wanted to open track my car competitively, again
weight and being able to run a touch more spark advance trumps all
other concerns.  And there's a lot to be said for getting high
horsepower parts to... well, have high horsepower.  The Pantera is for
fun and selecting a set of quality aluminum heads is a lot of fun and
part of that package.

So, whatever you do, have fun with it.  Your heads can be saved but
you don't have to and there may be someone out there that would like
to have them.  Or you can keep them on the shelf for when in 40 years
someone wants to bring it back close to factory.  Honestly I really
like the idea of TF heads and the matching lower intake for EFI.  That
sounds like a really fun project!

sean

--
"Computers are useless.  They can only give you answers." -P. Picasso