[DeTomaso] NPC Anybody know a good mechanic in Daytona?

Pantera Place panteraplace at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 10 15:53:15 EST 2011

Rob,

My wife has a Seven Series iL and we have logged many reliable road miles
with it.  It is really an awesome car and it still amazes me how well BMW
engineered the suspension and steering to provide extraordinary performance
handling but at the same time provide a great ride on the freeway.  It hugs
the road with no floating around like a Lexis.   The thing outweighs almost
two Panteras but is faster in acceleration and top speed than the 300ZX
Turbo that I owned many years ago.  At the time I thought the Z was fast,
how times change.

All that said, it does require following the strict factory maintenance and
inspection schedule to get the full enjoyment from the beast.  There are the
well-known things that fail on a regular time interval, e.g. radiator,
valley pan gasket, valve cover gaskets, power steering hoses, PCV plate,
battery and water pump/fan unit that must be proactively replaced.   After
the warranty expired we found a certified BMW mechanic that services it in
his spare time.  The E38 engine is good for a gazillion miles so we plan on
keeping it forever and our son that has a six speed M5 (the Alex Roy model)
plans to do the same.

I've found the Bimmer Forums to be a lot of help
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47