[DeTomaso] Chasing the Pantera Braking Solution (Was Proportioning Valve)

Mike Thomas mbefthomas at comcast.net
Sat Dec 10 13:43:05 EST 2011

I've done just about everything to my stock system that everybody here has
advised:

Rebuilt calipers
Porterfield pads
Braided steel lines
New master cylinder
Replaced the flexible vacuum lines both front/rear
Full pressure bleed at Les Schwab tires
Plus SSBC vented/slotted front rotors, and I'm running 245 front and 315
rear section tires, Khumo Exsta XS, which are quite sticky.

What I don't know:
Whether the booster has ever been rebuilt (rather doubt it)
Whether the proportioning valve has been molested

When I brake, it's still all I can do to get anything to lock up, and when I
get lock, it's always the right front only.  I don't track the car, but even
on spirited twisty drives, the few times I've had to clamp down hard have
left me looking for an anchor to throw out the window to get it to really
STOP.

Questions:
What's involved in rebuilding the booster, and should I consider replacing
the proportioning valve?  I feel like I should pull it to at least see if it
has been tinkered.

Thanks
Mike Thomas
Yellow '74 L #6328