[DeTomaso] NPC Anybody know a good mechanic in Daytona?

Rob Dumoulin rob at dumoulins.net
Sat Dec 10 07:22:50 EST 2011

I drove down to Daytona yesterday to pick up my stranded son. Luckily, he
has friends there and was able to stay the night. The fan clutch locked up
and sent the fan blades hurling away at a rapid pace. There is a line of
bumps in the hood and about 4 actual holes where debris came all the way
through it. It also reeked havoc on the oil filter lines, eliminated the
fan shroud, ruined the under-engine plastic drip guard, punched a hole in a
coolant overflow bottle, and took out coolant lines and fittings in its
path.

My son says the bang was loud when it happened. He initially thought he hit
something and looked back. The check coolant light and chime came on about
2 seconds later, the engine quite, and he said there was a smokescreen of
steam engulfing the car. When he told me that the engine died, I was afraid
there was engine damage, but it started right up yesterday and sounded
fine. If the damage is limited to what it appears to be, there are no major
mechanical issues, I'll get the car going and fix the cosmetic damage. This
is my second 7 and my last. It's such a great driving car, but not
reliable. Nor was my first 7, but I liked it so much that I was a sucker
for the second. It'll become an in-town car and I'll be in the market for a
5-series for my wife and new road car.