[DeTomaso] Mid America Pantera Roadtrip to Phoenix

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Wed Dec 7 21:25:06 EST 2011

In a message dated 12/7/11 18 13 33, lotus0005 at hotmail.com writes:

> I wonder, have the NM folks raised any ruckus about this - apparently not.

I think there's a simple solution to this problem.

Although there's a lot of puff about reducing accidents etc., the reality
is that this is probably a thinly disguised revenue enhancement program.
It's quite true that accident statistics and so forth will go down any place
that sees heavy law enforcement; imagine how safe we would all be if
everybody was forced to drive at 25 mph on the interstates?   So by that measure,
the program is a success.

But if 'success' is defined as, 'slowing traffic to a crawl and making
everyone want to put bullets in their own brains', then something is wrong.
People like us understand that there are tradeoffs in life; moving at a proper
pace on a freeway necessarily involves higher risk, and sometimes people
pay the price.   But do we want to live life like the boy in the plastic
bubble, in the all-encompassing pursuit of 'safety'?

So, here's the solution.   Go out and buy a junker car.   Drive through a
safety corridor, and when you see some poor slob pulled over by the cops,
immediately crash into the cop car.

If we can all commit to this, pretty soon New Mexico will be out of
functional cop cars.   Also, the statistics will prove that law enforcement in
so-called 'safety corridors' results in a dramatically increased accident rate,
and the only obvious solution would be to suspend such enforcement
immediately.

Once the enforcement is suspended, stop crashing into cop cars (or anything
for that matter).   The accident rates plummet, and this is 'success' from
the safety-weenie standpoint.   And then we can all go back to driving
across new Mexico at 90 mph as nature and God intended....