[DeTomaso] Fuel Pump

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Tue Dec 6 17:43:21 EST 2011

In a message dated 12/6/11 2:22:43 PM, tmshinro at aol.com writes:

> Any suggestions on what can cause the pump to leak and what it takes to
> fix? Can it be as simple as tightening the fuel line fitting (dreaming I'm
> sure)?
>
> If the pump needs to be replaced is it a simple bolt/unbolt job or I have
> to take the timing cover off?

As for fuel leaks, there's nothing to tighten up except the fuel-in and
fuel-out lines at the pump. And with the 10% alcohol in gasoline the Lords of
Smog in Washington have rammed down our throats, most rubber parts including
fuel pump diaphragms, hoses, check valves et al will harden and crack.
The pump unbolts with only two 9/16" nuts, and the top one is on a slotted
boss on the pump so it doesn't need to be completely removed to make pump
removal & reinstall easier. Unfortunately, in a Pantera there are lots of
interferences -header, motor mount, shift shaft and the frame extension that
supports the tank, to keep this 'simple' job on the miserable side. Good luck-
J DeRyke