[DeTomaso] NPC Fork Truck

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 22:28:20 EST 2011

> We have discovered it is a Chrysler 230 which I know nothing about...but
> have found there is a bit of a following in the flathead word.

I believe that is similar in design to the Chrysler straight eight flatheads.
I'm working on one of those for my brother's 1937 Chrysler Imperial.  It's
a 1950 model displacing 323.5 cubic inches
versus the original 1937 engine's 274 cubic inches.  Can I get you to take
a picture of the oil pick up arrangement?  The 1937 straight 8 has a main
cap that served as a manifold with the pick up screwing directly into the
main cap.  The 1950 engine has a different arrangement with a more conventional
pick up but those parts are missing on my engine.  If they are shared by the
truck flathead sixes, I might be able to find them easier than the more rare
straight 8's.  Also, did you replace the cam bearings?  The manual I have
mentions all the cam bearings are replaceable except for the last one.
Not sure why that is yet but if it is replaceable, I'd like to have the engine
dunked (which could damage the cam bearings).

Thanks,
Dan Jones