[DeTomaso] Spares

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu Dec 1 11:52:20 EST 2011

In a message dated 12/1/11 7 59 48, dave at damardirect.com writes:

> No, and the picture did not cause the failure either!
>
>  I was suggesting the tub would take the brunt of a broken, flaying
> U-joint/half shaft and the deck lid.
>
>>>I've never heard of a decklid (or even a tub) getting injured when the
U-joint snaps.   The inner wheelhouse gets clobbered, and if you're unlucky,
maybe the case of the ZF, but that's it.

Actually, if you get REALLY unlucky it can be very bad indeed.   The fellow
who restored my car discovered after he bought his own, that it wound up
going backwards through the trees when a U-joint broke.   Apparently a
previous owner was doing some hard acceleration, a U-joint broke, all power was
transferred to only a single wheel, which spun the car backwards and then it
launched into the woods, demolishing the rear end.

If that happens, the tub ain't going to help. :>)