[DeTomaso] Odd ZF Leak

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Aug 30 16:14:16 EDT 2011

In a message dated 8/28/11 14 34 11, mbefthomas at comcast.net writes:

> Thanks Mike, that makes sense.
>  From looking at the diagram, I'd be risking dropping the gear drive into
> the ZF if I try to pull the angle drive to replace either one.  I'll give
> my builder a call.

It's easy to NOT drop the gear into the gearbox, as long as you know what
to expect.   It's only the foolhardy who don't know the threat, that have a
problem.

The end of the gear that engages the angle drive looks like a flat blade
screwdriver.   When you remove the angle drive, the blade is sticking up.
You can grab it with a pair of small vice grips and clamp them on.   The gear
then can't fall anywhere.   Then, remove the bolt, and slide the sleeve and
the gear, together, out of the gearbox.   Then you can replace the O-ring on
the outside of the sleeve, separate the gear from the sleeve and replace
the washer there too.

It's harder to do if the blade has broken off the gear, but it's still
possible.