[DeTomaso] Door Alignment

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Aug 30 11:59:20 EDT 2011

In a message dated 8/22/11 16 54 4, 9freddiepat9 at earthlink.net writes:

> Can anyone give me some suggestions on aligning a door properly, in this
> case the passenger side?  I have spent a considerable amount of time with
> no
> success.  The door continues to remain low on the handle side.  The only
> way
> to close it fully is to slam it.  Thanks..

Thankfully it's not magic.   You do have to remove the door panel however.

There are three bolts which secure the door, in each of the hinges.   The
holes in the door are slotted, which allows the door to move forward and
back, and up and down a bit.   You can also rotate the door.   Sounds like the
rear of your door is hanging down, not a good thing.

One thing you can do is to remove the door panel, then close the door.
Then loosen all the bolts, allow the door to move to its happy place, then
tighten them again.   That might work.   If it still needs some tweaking, you
can support the bottom rear of the door on a floor jack (with the door open
of course), then loosen some of the bolts, carefully lift it, etc. etc.

Be mindful of the gap at the front; you can easily slide the door too far
forward and the leading edge can nick the back of the front fender.

Mike (who has exactly the same problem but hasn't yet taken the time to fix
it...later this year for sure!)