[DeTomaso] what have i got?

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun Aug 21 13:40:44 EDT 2011

In a message dated 8/20/11 10:35:38 PM, edlebby at yahoo.com writes:

> - what do people think of this build generally? - is it a high quality
> build? - does this seem like a "streetable" engine or one that is designed
> primarily for racing?

The PARTS are mostly high-end except the heads; what makes a high-end
ENGINE is correct assembly by a knowlegable builder. So I can't tell by
long-distance which you have. The pan is suspect- Moroso pans that fit a Pantera
frame are almost always for drag racing which is the wrong game for a Pantera.
What's needed is a fully baffled road-racing type pan. And Melling makes
THREE different oil pumps- two of which often will cause trouble in street
engines. Finally, overboring a Cleveland block by 0.040" is dangerous unless the
block was sonic-checked for wall thickness or is a race block. If it was,
the results should be mentioned somewhere in your paperwork. In some .040-over
stock blocks, the remaining cylinder walls are so thin, they balloon during
the power stroke and burn mucho oil, never allowing the rings to seat.
How does it run? Does it idle at a reasonable rpm- like below 1100? Solid
lifter cams can be anywhere from a mild RV cam for trucks to a full-on racing
cam that won't idle below 1500. Again, in the paperwork should be a 'cam
card' giving the specs. You could have a nice streetable motor putting out
350-400 bhp, or a ground-pounding full race grenade-engine for drag racing,
depending on the cam. You probably should make contact with the local Pantera
chapter in your area and have one of the knowlegable old-timers check your
buy. Where are you located and what's the serial # of the car? We may know of
the machine- Good luck- J Deryke