[DeTomaso] Pressure cap question

David & Marilyn Bell davidabell at worldnet.att.net
Sun Aug 21 11:59:03 EDT 2011

First, if you still have a stock swirl tank, the original cap ring was not
sized to mesh with stock American caps.  So American style replacement caps
often do not seal properly.

Second, the design of the Pantera cooling system is such that the swirl tank
and pressure cap are on the high pressure side of the water pump (unlike
most other vehicles).  So the spring cap has to deal with the normal
pressure originating from the heat and fluid expansion of the coolant, but
also practically all of the additional pressure generated by the water pump.
At high rpm the combination of heat and water pump pressure can overcome the
cap spring and coolant escapes.  The higher pressure radiator caps are one
way to contain it, though I agree that very high pressures are hard on the
cooling system in general.  Prior to reworking my Pantera cooling system and
removing the swirl tank completely, I had to run a 22 psi cap to keep the
coolant contained.  After swirl tank removal and addition of a separate
reservoir/pressure tank, I run a regular old 13 psi cap and no coolant
puking problems.

Dave Bell