[DeTomaso] off topic - Slingbox Solo

Richard Barkley rlbpantera at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 17 19:15:10 EDT 2011

Dan,
I've been looking into slinger's also. I've been put off by some of the
negative negative reviews on Amazon (terrible service and units dying
with only a 90 day warranty). I've been looking at the HD unit which
lists for $300. Ouch. There appears to be only one competitor: the
Monsoon Vulkano (various models). The Flow model is the least expensive
as it has no hard drive. It's available from Amazon for $109 or so:
http://www.amazon.com/Vulkano-Flow-Mobile-Device-Viewing/dp/B004M189OM
It is a much newer design (1/2011) than the Slingbox (2005, 2008) which
probably explains the lower price.
http://www.monsoonmultimedia.com/products.html

One problem with both devices is that they (seemingly) need to be
rebooted relatively often as discussed here:
http://answers.slingbox.com/thread/9444
One solution suggested there is to have a timer turn the unit off/on
daily. Another is if you have a home automation system that connects to
the internet and an outlet you can turn off/on when you want.

Finally, the Vulkano you can record to your PC or Mac.

Fry's has them for sale now for $88. I'm thinking I'll get one this
afternoon.
http://www.frys.com/product/6603754
Richard

-----
Sincerely, Richard Barkley

To Ski or not to Ski, that is the question!

Richard Barkley (310) 373-6695 (home)
E-mail:  rlbpantera <atsign> earthlink.net
ZONKEY'S home page: http://home.earthlink.net/~rlbpantera
Mammoth Lakes Vacation Condo: 2BR+loft/3Bath - Horizons 4 #186 (760)