[DeTomaso] Pantera Front Bumper

cengles at cox.net cengles at cox.net
Wed Aug 17 09:15:49 EDT 2011

Dear Mike and Forum,

Regarding the original L big front bumpers, I think that you're correct in that there aren't many for sale. Regarding the aged and wavy and scruffy bumpers, I recall a couple of articles over the years from the old Pantera International (I think) and the POCA Newsletter about repair and refurbishment of the bumpers.
IIRC, the task was a garage project and didn't require any specialized tools. I recall that a bit of basic welding was involved. The trick part was the correct petrochemical rubberized goop to fill in the defects created from the repair plus the normal dings and such. It seemed a bit labor intensive, but at a basic level.
I am sorry to hear about the reality behind the ill fitment of the fiberglass bumpers. It is sadly an old story.
Full disclosure: One Pantera has a perfect front L bumper. The other has the sadly wavy L bumper. I am content to live with it!
Mr. Lazy Bumper Owner, Chuck Engles