[DeTomaso] off topic - Slingbox Solo

Daniel C Jones daniel.c.jones2 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 14 17:37:24 EDT 2011

Warning: Off Topic

I do a lot of international travel and end up in places where BBC and CNN
are the only TV channels available in English. I'm looking at purchasing
a Slingbox Solo to connect to my Direct TV HD DVR. Looking on the web, the
installation instructions say:

1. Connect the Slingbox to an A/V device, such as a DVR, cable set-top box,
or satellite receiver.

2. Connect the Slingbox to your home network (if your router is too far from
your Slingbox for a direct connection, use the SlingLink TURBO or another
Ethernet bridge for connectivity).

3. Fire up your home network-connected Windows PC or Mac computer, complete
the Slingbox setup, and enjoy your very own home theater via the web.

I get my internet connection via ATT using a 2Wire wireless/ethernet gateway
(specs below). My satellite cable hooks into a Direct TV DECA Broadband adapter
which connects directly to the 2Wire. Both of those are near my laptop PC in
the study. The Slingbox will be connected to the DVR in the living room.
Since the DVR is connected to the gateway via the broadband adapter, will I
need SlingLink TURBO or another Ethernet bridge for connectivity.

Thanks,
Dan Jones

Manufacturer - 2Wire
ADSL Device configured for AT&T DSL services
WAN Interface - ADSL (RJ-11)
LAN Interface - 4 port 10/100 Ethernet with Auto-crossover (RJ-45);
802.11g or high powered HyperG access point
PPP over Ethernet (PPPoE) gateway / pass-thru