[DeTomaso] Tire preservation/red neck science

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun Aug 14 16:48:14 EDT 2011

In a message dated 8/14/11 9:16:47 AM, r.simpson35 at verizon.net writes:

> So if oxygen degrades stored food just as ozone degrades tire compounds,
> would a sealed oxygen/ozone free environment preserve the tires?  This is
> where I am going, I use a vacuum
> sealer to preserve my long term storable food. The vacuum process removes
> the oxygen and seals the product bag.  Would a tire, sealed in a
> polyethylene bag and vacuum sealed, extend the life of the tire?

Interesting approach that might actually reduce ozone degradation of the
surfaces but still would not slow the gradual curing of the tire compounds in
the bulk of the tire, unless you combined it with a freezer.... Reportedly,
a Buggati dumped in a high, deep mountain lake near the Swiss border 60+
years ago still had air in its tires, but no one mentioned how resilent the old
skins were, even though the wreck was below the oxygen level in the cold
water.
Bag-plus-freezer should effectively keep anyone from casually enjoying
their Pantera with those tires. Museums might be interested but not normal
enthusiasts, I'm afraid. Good luck- J Deryke