[DeTomaso] Tire preservation/red neck science

robert simpson r.simpson35 at verizon.net
Sun Aug 14 12:14:48 EDT 2011

I just read in a post here that ozone is the main culprit in the degradation
of tires while in long term storage.  So if oxygen degrades stored food just
as ozone degrades tire compounds, would a sealed oxygen/ozone  free
environment preserve the tires?  This is where I am going, I use a vacuum
sealer to preserve my long term storable food.  The vacuum  process removes
the oxygen and seals the product bag.  Would a tire, sealed in a
polyethylene bag and vacuum sealed, extend the life of the tire? I actually
have bags that (not designed for food but for sealing)that would accommodate
a tire that fits a stock Pantera wheel.   The bags are used to vacuum seal
very large items and have a one way valve built in to allow for the vacuum
process to maintain a seal.

"Improvise adapt and overcome"

Just wondering.

Bob