[DeTomaso] A/F Gauge- wide or narrow?

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue Aug 2 22:47:16 EDT 2011

In a message dated 8/2/11 19 24 16, cengles at cox.net writes:

> Dear A/F Gauge Forum Experts,
>
>>>I'm not an expert, but I've seen them used to good effect.   JC drove
around in the passenger seat of my Pantera with a vacuum gauge in one hand and
his Innovate in the other, and was able to tell *exactly* what was going on
with the carburetor.   His knowledge enabled him to know how to fix the
problems he was seeing on the instruments and feeling in the seat of his pants.

> >            PLEASE provide a dummy's guide to A/F Gauges.  I gather that
> they are good things, but questions persist, if you would be so kind.
>
> 1) How much do these things cost?
>
>>>That depends.   You can get a permanent gauge or just use the one that
is included with a tool like the Innovate.

> >2) Do you have mount a bung or fitting on your exhaust to use one of
> these
> things?
>
>>>Yes; a standard oxygen sensor bung has to be mounted between 10 and 2
o'clock in the exhaust stream.   The Pantera is brilliantly engineered in that
there is a nice big access hole in the inner wheelhouse right near the
header/tailpipe junction.   Although normally you install the bung in the
exhaust collector, mounting it an inch or two aft, in the tailpipe, is much
simpler (and doesn't require you to pull the header--just reach through the hole,
mark the pipe, pull the pipe, install the bung, and you're in business).

> >3) Are you mounting these in the dash or just temporary until all the
> carb
> tuning is done?
>
>>>Mounting on the dash is highly unnecessary IMHO, unless you are a
perennial carb twiddler.   I say that you use the tool to set the car up, and once
you're happy, leave it alone.

Some people are never happy.   Those people can be recognized by the A/F
gauge permanently mounted somewhere in the car. :>)

> >4) So...you have it installed and you drive around noting that it is too
> lean; in the sweet spot; or too rich and adjust the carb appropriately
> until
> it *always* stays in the sweet green zone?   Then, it isn't needed any
> more
> or is it??

> >           I just figured out what the tach was used for, so help me
> with
> this.
>
>>>Although the Innovate can tell you quite a bit by itself, apparently the
vacuum gauge tells a tale all its own, and using them together is the real
key to success.

Mike (with a perfectly carbureted Pantera thanks to JC!)