[DeTomaso] Increasing Caster

Charles Engles cengles at cox.net
Sat Apr 30 09:31:38 EDT 2011

Dear Jack,

           You wrote:

 "I personally find our car to be difficult to steer in traffic with more
than -4-1/2 degrees. Over -4-1/2 recommended only for power steering
conversions and really high speed use."

          Ahem.   While I can be accused of having Orangutan sized arms,
which might affect my perception of steering effort, the difficulty of
steering in traffic or on the highway is not perceptibly different between
my Pantera with 4 degrees positive caster and the other one with 5 degrees.
I would suggest that the 4 1/2 degree point does not mark a significant
point of effort increase and that the relation between increasing positive
caster and steering effort is probably incremental and proportional, IMHO.

              Mr. Positive Caster,  Chuck Engles

PS: you're right that positive caster does keep the front end planted and
stabilized at high speeds!