[DeTomaso] NPC - need help with throwout bearing on a 4 speed toploader

Cullen McCann cmccann1972 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 17:09:30 EDT 2011

Good afternoon friends of the list.this is not specifically Pantera related
but I suppose it could close. I am running a 4 speed toploader ford behind a
351 Windsor based motor in another project.and I installed the clutch and
Lakewood scattershield, etc..with the clutch fork, and the "throw" or
distance that the fork can disengage the clutch is WAY to short.it would
need to move a lot farther two disengage the clutch and before It can, it
bottoms out against the opening of the scattershield. I didn't know it at
the time but I understand now that there are two different sizes of throw
out bearing depths?

I think I have the short bearing ( and it was short, about the depth of a
hockey puck..or an inch or less..) the geometry of what I'm looking at
suggests it behave this way.

What application or description would lead me towards a long style throw out
bearing?

Hope I'm making sense.ugh.

Thanks!!

Cullen