[DeTomaso] DuraSpark cap kit to 351C

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Thu Apr 28 14:16:58 EDT 2011

In a message dated 12/12/10 4:00:27 AM, detomaso at luleweb.se writes:

> I want to buy an extra cap and rotor in reserve. I thinking to buy a
> Motorcraft or Standard Motor Products that looks more OEM, a blue or grey would
> be nice.
> Is it same Distributor Cap (Male/HEI-Style), Rotors and spacer on 351W,
> 351M
> and my 351C?

The cap, plastic stand-off and matching rotor were all made for Windsors.
Cleveland production ended before such caps were available, so they're ALL
Windsor or Ford 460 caps. The later gray big caps did not use a separate
stand-off piece; the cap and stand-off are one part. The rotors are the same for
both type of big cap. Finally, it's a rare unmolested Pantera in which the
big cap actually clears the firewall sufficiently for safety. Usually, an
owner can find a position where the big cap barely clears. Then while driving,
the engine shifts on old motor mounts and the cap hits the firewall, shifts
and breaks the rotor. Sometimes the cap gets torn up too, but in any case,
the engine quits until the broken parts are replaced.

The real fix for all this is to unbolt the motor mounts, elongate the long
connecting bolt hole for the mount halves, or ideally- reverse the
asymmetric upper mounts, unbolt the ZF mounts, and pry back the entire powertrain,
then shim as necessary to bolt everything back. The later sidemount ZF frame
tabs can be bent into a shallow 'S' almost by hand. The whole powertrain can
slide back a maximum of about 7/8" before the oil pan touches the rear
crossmember. Doing this does nothing to fuel lines, A/C, wires or exhaust which
can all remain undisturbed. The only extra adjustment is to realign the shift
stick in the cockpit per the Red Owners Manual. This rearward engine
reposition also aids in home-built 'flat firewall' systems. It's been working well
on our '72 L since 1999. Good luck- J Deryke