[DeTomaso] And the saga drags on...and on...now to sway bar bolts.

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Thu Apr 28 10:51:46 EDT 2011

In a message dated 4/28/11 5 13 51, rob at dumoulins.net writes:

> Anybody had to replace the bottom sway bar bolt?
>
> Do I need to cut it out and weld a new one in?
>

>>>It's a common problem.   Lubrication before removal of the sway bar nuts
should be considered standard practice for just this reason. :<(

At least on the early cars, there is access to the head of the sway bar
mounting studs from underneath--the channel they are in is open.   I can't
remember if that's true for the later cars.

In any case, you can cut the old stud off flush with the face of the
chassis member, then carefully drill   through the remains of the stud, tap it,
and thread in a new stud.   Or you can cut open the chassis box underneath the
head of the existing stud, chisel it out, drill and insert a stud from the
outside, weld it in place inside the box, then close the box back up.