[DeTomaso] DMV registration question for fellow Kalifornians.

SOBill at aol.com SOBill at aol.com
Thu Apr 28 02:39:29 EDT 2011

Peter,

My understanding is that, in California, you can  never legally remove or
alter the smog equipment that originally came  on the car.

Most cars built after 1965 had some type of smog equipment from the
factory.

Sometime in the mid '70s, California required that all cars have a  PCV
system installed even though it was not a factory item. The PCV valve  was
installed in Chevy by drilling a hole in the cast iron intake manifold and
pounding the PCV valve into place. This process didn't seem to bother the engine
 as the cast iron dust could cycle thru the engine OK.

In the late '70s, California also required modification of the  ignition
system by the addition of a "smog module" which altered the spark  advance
such that my camper van could no longer get up the hill to by  house. The
vehicle registration renewal required a certification that an  ignition smog
module had been installed. The auto shop at the bottom of the  hill was just as
happy to disconnect the module as they were to install it and I  was happy
to mail the Certificate of Installation to the DMV. Ah, those were the  days.

So the fact that, at present my 1974 Pantera is exempt  from regular smog
testing, does not exempt the car from having all the original  factory smog
equipment installed and in working order. If I am stopped for  any reason,
and the officer has reason to believe my car does not comply  with original
factory equipment, I can be required to have the car smog  tested.

I believe there are some exceptions. The installation of  aftermarket parts
is legal if that part has received a California Air Resources  Board
Executive Order Exemption. Vendor catalogs indicate if their part is  CARB exempt.
These exemptions are given to parts which are as good or better,  smog
wise, as the OEM parts they replace. Also, if the manufacturer of the  car no
longer sells the required smog part, that part need not be installed and
working.

In the mid '60s in lived for time in Anaheim. The smog was so  bad I could
not see two city blocks as everything just disappeared into a  haze. I was
in Anaheim two weeks ago, and the air was very  clear. It is 50 years later
and there are many, many more cars in  circulation yet the air is definitely
cleaner. Got to think about  that.

That's what I think I know.

Have fun  today,

sobill at aol.com