[DeTomaso] muffler choices

Justin Greisberg justingreisberg at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 25 19:36:19 EDT 2011

i used PI's pre-bent 2.5" pipes and made them fit to my headers and then into a flowmaster very small single chamber racing muffler.  I then welded on corsa dual monza tips, which look perfect for a 70's italian car.  The PI pipes are bent the old fashioned way (I think NOT mandrel bent), so they get smaller as they are bent.  They required a lot of massaging to get them to fit with a hammer and vice, but they were a great starting point.  Even with squeezing the pipes down a lot to an oval shape, there is minimal clearance around the half-shafts.  I can't imagine making 3" pipes fit there at all, and unless that last little bit of top end horsepower at 6000rpm is that important to you, i wouldnt even consider it.  With long tube headers, the single chamber flowmasters, and the resonator exhuast tips, it is ridiculously loud, but not in a bad way.  I like a loud car, but i dont worry about the neighbors calling the police (not like open pipes).  At least not until I do my first 5000rpm tire spin in front of the house!  Justin