[DeTomaso] replacement brake pads?

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Apr 25 15:53:51 EDT 2011

In a message dated 4/24/11 5:52:31 PM, panteratime at aol.com writes:

> Are there recommendations for replacement pads from local auto store?
> Napa, Pep Boys etc..?   Any special "tricks" in replacing them?   Rears?
> Also--I hear the belts starting to make a slight "squeel" I assume I have
> to remove the seat and bulk head to tighten or replace belts? Thanks!!

DeTomaso brake pads do not cross to any easily-available parts at chain
stores. The rear pads come out easy enough but to get new wider pads in, you
will have to rotate the protruding part of the single piston 45 degrees so it
can be pushed all the way back inside. The parking brake innards normally
hold the piston in an extended position. I use the shank of a long
square-blade screwdriver to turn and release the piston. All this is described, with
illustrations,   in the light-blue Pantera Service Manual.

And unless you have upgraded the bulkhead padding per the factory mods in
'75 so the central bubble part can be removed separately, you will have to
slide both seats all the way fwd and remove the entire bulkhead padding plus
any shoulder harnesses or roll bars you might have. Normally, the bulkhead
padding comes out the pasenger side door. Some cars might need the passenger
seat removed- which makes the factory bulkhead mod even more vaulable. Good
luck- J Deryke