[DeTomaso] Muffler Choices

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Apr 25 15:16:22 EDT 2011

In a message dated 4/25/11 10:31:10 AM, kenn_green at yahoo.com writes:

> Has anyone replaced the collector on headers like these with a good merge
> collector and maybe just a 2 1/2 or 2 3/4 pipe?  It seems like that would
> be enough for a moderate street engine?  Going from 2 inch to
> 2 1/2 increaeses the area by over 50%.

I'm in the process of doing exactly that, Ken. But my Pantera exhaust is
complicated by the fact that I adapted stock GTS headers to SVO raised-port
cylinder heads. Due to the 45 degree block angle, the 1-1/2" tall raised ports
pushes the header tubes outboard enough to hit both the fuel tank and the
l. & rt. coil-over springs. Heating and bending the 2 offending pipes cleared
the tank, but I had to re-angle the header flanges to miss the shocks, so
my upcoming 3" collectors will be curved around the coil-overs using sections
of u-bends. Then I'll need to build another pair of modified connecting
exhaust pipes to some aftermarket mufflers. Back in 1990, I should've bought a
set of headers designed for these heads....
D. Vizard seems to think that shorty-headers (like our GTS's) and long-tube
headers (with collectors) tend to produce within about 5% of the same
power, so maybe its not gonna make much real-world difference except visually.
We'll see. Cheers- J Deryke