[DeTomaso] Muffler Choices

Ken Green kenn_green at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 25 12:58:08 EDT 2011

I received what I believe to be a Hall System with a car I'm presently putting back together.  The engine is suppose to be a low 400 FWHP Cleveland and has a 2500 to 6500 RPM rated Comp Cams cam in it, and it appears someone spent some $s on it a few years ago.

Looking at the Hall parts, the primary tubes are 1 3/4 inch OD and the pipe from the collector to the mufflers is only 2 inches OD.  It seems like the primary tubes are good enough for the engine, but the collector and pipe seem small/restrictive.

Has anyone replaced the collector on headers like these with a good merge collector and maybe just a 2 1/2 or 2 3/4 pipe?  It seems like that would be enough for a moderate street engine?  Going from 2 inch to 2 1/2 increaeses the area by over 50%.

Ken