[DeTomaso] Tale of Caution

David in Durango adin at frontier.net
Mon Apr 25 10:36:39 EDT 2011

"It was kind of exciting, with fire and everything!

When cranking over the engine, fuel gushed out the secondary vent tube. "

OK kids, listen up!

A couple of winters ago I was converting the V8 Miata from EFI to carb.  This involved a fuel pressure regulator and a new HEI ignition system.

First, I plumbed in the fuel system.  Everytime I checked for leaks I had one fitting that would leave a gas smell on my fingers.  Eventually, this was fixed (I thought) so I hooked up the ignition system and tried to start the car.

No start.  WTF? I says to myself.

Check the fuel, yep pressure. Try it again. . . ..  no start.

Better check for spark . . . .

Even a small fire, in the garage where the Pantera lives (that is connected to the house) is a BIG freakin' fire.  (Hint: turn off the fuel pump before jumping out the a flaming car.  Trush me.)

So, I picked up the fire ext. placed by the car (I thought I was no dummy . . .guess again) which oozed some stuff out of the nozzle that dripped on my shoe. (sound familiar old tymers?) Fire is getting bigger.

$#^&^&$%   run in the adjoining kitchen for a salad bowl full of water.  If you guessed this WASN'T enough water you win the prize.

While I'm having visions of a melted Pantera and a crsipy house (burning car is on jack stands, no chance to push it out side) I calmly walke out the garage door, picked up the garden hose, turned it on full and put the fire out.  Note to self: don't forget to spin the motor without plugs to clear the water.

I believe the barely detectable gas leak had leaked a puddle onto the carpet below (safety hint).

Be careful, have a back up and don't mess with gas in a closed area.

Grouch and Dirty Safety Hint #1
"yes, we've got spark!"

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 6069 (20110425) __________

http://www.eset.com